Friday, August 24, 2012

When Does Walking Away Suddenly Make You A Target?


Let's just say a lot of events have led up to this post.  This will not be the typical post you are used to reading on my blog.  You have been warned.


This morning I woke to hear that Lance Armstrong was to be stripped of his cycling achievements because he no longer wanted to fight allegations of doping.

Where does it say that walking away from something automatically makes you guilty?   It's sad to see a world where your efforts to make change for good come secondary to scandal. 

Take a time out from this post and read my friend Neil's thoughts which will then lead you to the post on the Lance Armstrong website

Does this sound like a man that is guilty? To me it sounds like someone who's ready to move on to bigger and better things.  Choosing to concentrate on what brings out the best of him instead of what has been a big chip on his shoulder.

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?

I don't know.  Frankly it doesn't matter to me. Reporters continue to say actions speak louder than words, and  they say by Lance Armstrong walking away he is showing he is guilty.

Well what about these actions?

During his treatment, before his recovery, before he even knew his own fate, he created the Lance Armstrong Foundation. This marked the beginning of Lance's life as an advocate for people living with cancer and a world representative for the cancer community.


(Quoted from LIVESTRONG)

and the action that meant so much to those living in my community.




Ride With Lance brought much needed dollars to Kitchener Waterloo for The Grand River Hospital's Cancer Centre  (that's right, he didn't take the funds raised back to the US for the LIVESTRONG foundation, they stayed right here in Kitchener Waterloo). It also brought a lot of community awareness to our area. The first Ride With Lance happened without too much attention until after the event.  The city was buzzing about how much was raised during the top secret fundraiser. In years to come it became almost a city wide scavenger hunt to figure out the route the Ride With Lance would take.

In 2010 I heard on twitter that Lance was in town and later that day I noticed some temporary fencing going up at the end of my street.  I grabbed my flip cam and off I went 




The following year I was approached to help with a project to help a cancer survivor raise funds to participate in the final Ride For Lance.  I was thrilled to be involved. Marcel's Journey did lead him to wear the yellow jersey in the final ride.

Again I ask WHAT ABOUT THOSE ACTIONS?

Millions of dollars to our local hospital....
They will hard pressed to tarnish the shine of Lance Armstrong here in Kitchener Waterloo.


I myself have walked away from two things this summer that I was very passionate about.  Does that make me guilty of something? What does that say about my actions?   Have you ever walked away because of frustration?  Do you think that cancels out all of your credibility?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...